Monday, March 21, 2011

Talking Points 2

You have a gallon of milk in the refrigerator and it will expire in 24 hours. What are you going to do with it? You could throw it away the next day or hope someone is really thirsty and will consume it that day. Lets talk about extending the shelf life of product by changing the property of the product itself. Did you know that if you made an Alfredo or béchamel sauce out of the milk you will have extended the shelf life of the product by a couple more days? Well now you know.

I always amaze myself throughout the day at the sorority. Menu planning, budgeting and time management all sort of blend into one another. It is important to understand that your time is critical and how you spend every second will determine the quality of your day and the day of the others who you are responsible for feeding.

Lets discuss the importance of knowing the people you feed. I feed several young ladies on a daily basis and it is important that I know each one on a professional level. What’s that mean exactly? Great question. It means I know their eating habits, allergies, likes and dislikes. How does this benefit me? Another great question. Safety first! I refuse to be mentally lazy and irresponsible with the health and well being of my girls. Knowledge is power and knowing each girls allergy will help ensure that I am taking the necessary steps to prevent someone from getting hurt.

Knowing who likes what and who doesn’t helps me build a menu that is appealing to those who will be consuming the food. Making sure we are not wasting food ensures that none of the budget is being wasted and this can result in personal growth and job security. Please understand that you are in control of your successes and failures, do not blame or point fingers. These are my personal thoughts and I can be proud of them because, I practice what I preach.

Make something fantastic and feed it to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment